DeVry University Review
DeVry University has a long and storied history as an educational institution, stretching back to its founding as a technical and electronics training institute in Chicago more than 80 years ago. DeVry maintains campus locations from coast to coast in the U.S. — from the Pacific Northwest to the Florida peninsula and New York City to San Diego — and a catalog of online degree programs that are accessible to students almost anywhere in the world.
The catalog of courses and study plans available at DeVry spans multiple disciplines at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, making it possible for students and professionals in a wide array of occupations to earn degrees, certificates and continuing education credits. DeVry has even expanded its reach internationally, with 12 affiliated campuses in Brazil serving over 33,000 students.
- Total enrollment, as of January 2015:
- Undergraduate enrollment: 37,922
- Graduate enrollment: 15,108
- Steps to admission:
- Fill out the DeVry University application form, including your name, academic history and contact information, and submit it either online or by postal mail
- Speak with an admissions representative about acquiring transcripts, transferring credits and engaging with financial aid and career services personnel
- Look over the academic calendar and determine the course cycle that works for you
- Admissions deadline: Rolling admissions
- Transfers accepted year round?: Yes
Requirements for successful admission may apply, including documentation of standardized test scores and a high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) certificate or other proof of satisfactory classroom performance during prior academic work. Some students may be asked to complete a proprietary college-level general skills assessment prior to acceptance, and applicants must be 17 years of age or older on the first day of classes.
In order to be eligible for transfer, previous degrees must be earned at institutions recognized by regional, national or international accreditation agencies, and certain degree programs at DeVry may come with specific requirements for prior education or additional skills assessments. International applicants, home-schooled applicants and those from other select categories may be asked to meet additional requirements as well.
- Is this school eligible for federal financial aid (Title IV approved)? Yes
- Does this school offer scholarships? Yes
- What percentage of students receives financial aid? 90%
Business administration has long been a popular distance-learning subject, and the bachelor's degree in business administration offered at DeVry allows students to choose from a wide range of specializations within the discipline. Available concentrations at the undergraduate level include accounting, finance, global supply chain management, business information systems, sales and marketing, human resource management, entrepreneurship and more.
Employment opportunities for medical and health care managers are expected to increase 23 percent between 2012 and 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, and a degree in healthcare administration is a common path into the profession. DeVry students can choose to specialize in either the technical or administrative side of the field, with individual concentrations available in healthcare informatics and healthcare administration.
Popular Degrees You may want to consider...
Area of Study Select one...or select your own!
Computer Information Systems
Degrees in computer information systems are available on DeVry campuses as well as online, and students can choose among specializations that include Web development, database management, computer forensics, game programming and information systems security. Separate degree concentrations in network and communications management and game and simulation programming exist for students seeking a more specific focus.
Multimedia Design and Development
DeVry offers four multimedia design and development specializations for students looking to get into graphic design, game programming or application development. Enterprise-minded students may also choose a dedicated graphics and multimedia management degree track, which includes training in multimedia standards, project management skills and business fundamentals.
DeVry offers students a robust career services division and an extensive network of alumni who can make themselves available to assist students throughout the school year and after graduation. Online students can stay in touch with the university's support structure through social media platforms, and proprietary apps exist to provide career guidance, tutoring services and virtual library access.
Students earning hybrid or fully campus-based degrees can also take advantage of clubs, associations, events and other amenities hosted at the university's brick-and-mortar locations. Online students may even reach out to the school about taking part in on-campus events and associations, if they're close enough to a regional campus location to fit such extracurricular involvement into their schedules.
DeVry is a university built for real people already living in the real world — for students who want more than just a degree ... for students who want a career.
Click for more info
U.S. News and World Report publishes yearly rankings of traditional and online degree programs at universities around the country, and multiple programs at DeVry make regular appearances on these lists. Here are the programs recognized in 2015, along with their rank as published by U.S. News:
- Best Online Graduate Business Programs (excluding MBA): No. 61
- Best Online MBA Programs: No. 126
- Best Online Bachelor's Programs: No. 111
- Best Online Graduate Education Programs: No. 138
As well as ranking among the top 150 online programs in those four areas, DeVry's Midwest campuses earned a spot on the U.S. News list of top traditional universities in the region. In addition to that, occupational compensation information company PayScale ranked 11 DeVry campuses in their 2013 College Return on Investment (ROI) Report, with three locations ranking among the top 100 campuses on the list.
DeVry is home to six separate colleges. Three of these — business and management, health sciences and media arts and technology — offer strictly undergraduate degrees and certificates, while the colleges of liberal arts and sciences and engineering and information sciences contain programs for graduate as well as undergraduate learners.
The remaining college, the Keller Graduate School of Management, provides a broad range of options for graduate students. The Keller School offers 19 MBA concentrations, 15 graduate certificates and 7 additional specialized master's degree programs in field such as accounting, project management, public administration and more.
DeVry University employs several professors and administrators of distinction, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Here's a short list of notable faculty members at DeVry, along with the college where they teach:
- Daniel Langelier - Senior Vice President of Global Wealth Investment Management at Bank of America and accounting & finance professor at Keller Graduate School of Management
- Randall DeWitt - Former director of the School of Entertainment Design Technology at Miami Dade College and digital imaging and design professor in the College of Media Arts and Technology on campus in Miramar, Fla.
- Ira Gorelick - Senior Manager of Business Solutions at Verizon Wireless and technology/telecommunications management professor at Keller Graduate School of Management
- Shakti Chatterjee - Author of Biomedical Instrumentation Systems, a canonical guide to high-tech hospital equipment, and engineering professor in the College of Engineering & Information Sciences on campus in Columbus, Ohio
- Shirley L. Lewis - Former acting president and board member of the Southern California Health Information Association and associate dean of health information technology in the College of Health Sciences on campus in Pomona, Calif.
1. DeVry University, http://www.devry.edu
2. DeVry Brasil, DeVry Education Group, http://www.devryeducationgroup.com/our-institutions/devry-brasil.html
3. Keller Faculty, Keller Graduate School of Management, http://www.keller.edu/why-keller/credibility/keller-faculty.html
4. Medical and Health Services Managers, “Occupational Outlook Handbook,” Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, accessed February 2015, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Management/Medical-and-health-services-managers.htm
5. DeVry University, Overall Rankings, U.S. News and World Report, accessed February 2015, http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/devry-university
6. "DeVry Education Group Announces Second-Quarter 2015 Results," Yahoo Finance, February 5, 2015, http://finance.yahoo.com/news/devry-education-group-announces-second-210500113.html