The University of Phoenix was founded in 1976 and has grown nearly every year since then — so much so that as of 2014, it stands as the largest private university in the United States. Much of the rampant growth at the institution is owed to its trailblazing position in the field of online degree programs, which have been offered at the university since 1989 and compose a large percentage of degrees earned at the institution today. The University of Phoenix has reach beyond education as well: In 2006, it became the only educational institution with a National Football League stadium named after it, following the opening of University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.
University of Phoenix Review
- Total enrollment, 2012-13: 442,033
- Admission deadline: Rolling
- Transfers accepted in both spring and fall? Yes
- Steps to admission (Associate or bachelor's degrees)
- Earn a high school diploma or equivalent proficiency certificate
- Provide any required state-specific health or education documentation (residents of Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Tennessee only)
- Applicants for Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees must have completed an associate degree program at an accredited institution and have no restrictions or encumbrances on any extant registered nursing licenses
- Applicants for LVN/LPN-to-BSN degrees must have completed an LVN or LPN nursing program, earned a satisfactory score on the Test of Essential Academic Skills and consented to a criminal background check
- Is this school eligible for federal financial aid (Title IV approved)? Yes
- Does this school offer scholarships? Yes
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 96 percent
- Percentage of students receiving federal financial aid: 89 percent
Programs of study in psychology at the University of Phoenix can be undertaken at multiple academic levels. Associate degree coursework introduces concepts of the discipline, such as human development and research methods. Bachelor's programs go deeper into theory and history, including courses in human motivation and personality. Graduate-level students can choose among concentrations in general psychology, industrial-organizational psychology and behavioral health.
Online business administration degrees at the University of Phoenix can be earned at the bachelor's level, in a program that emphasizes quantitative business skills like economics, finance and accounting, or as an MBA with eight concentrations to choose from. Certificates in business administration are also available, for students focusing on another aspect of business education who don't want to miss out on vital administration and management concepts.
Women outnumber men more than two to one in the student body at the University of Phoenix, and the faculty is composed of 57 percent women and 43 percent men. What's more, a 2012 report indicates that the university topped the list of institutions awarding associate, bachelor's and master's degrees to American ethnic minorities.
Click for more info
- U.S. News & World Report Best Grad School Rankings
- • Master of Science in Nursing (2011)
- • Master of Public Administration (2012)
- U.S. News & World Report Best Online Program Rankings
- • Online Master of Science in Nursing (2014)
- U.S. News & World Report Best Online Undergraduate Programs (#82)
- • Student Engagement (2012)
- Recognized for "Good Practices in Distance Education" by the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (1997)
- Online campus awarded Global Achievement Award for Innovation by the Economist Intelligence Unit (2002)
- Named among the top 20 colleges with military-friendly policies by Military Advanced Education (2008)
- Named among the top 10 universities using green energy by the Environmental Protection Agency (2012)
1. University of Phoenix, http://www.phoenix.edu
2. Milestones and Recognitions, University of Phoenix, http://cdn.assets-phoenix.net/content/dam/altcloud/doc/about_uopx/milestones-recognitions.pdf
3. University of Phoenix, All Rankings, U.S. News and World Report, http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-phoenix-online-campus-372213/overall-rankings
Disclaimer: Information on this page was not provided or commissioned by the featured school. Information has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the featured school.
Finding the right school can be tough. Schools.com is here to help make that process easier. We know that every student is different and is looking for an experience catered to their needs. Our college profile reviews are here to help you analyze several facets of an institution, including academic offerings, the admissions process, culture and the demographic makeup of the student body. Check out programs available online and on campus, and get ready to take the first steps toward your degree.