Liberty University has operated as a private Christian institute of higher learning since its founding by Jerry Falwell in 1971. It has grown to include more than 450 programs of online and in-person study delivered from a 6,800 acre campus in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Lynchburg, Virginia. The fact sheet on Liberty University is full of superlatives: It's the largest private, nonprofit university in the United States, the largest university overall in Virginia and the largest Christian university anywhere in the world.
Liberty University Review
- Total enrollment, 2012-13: 95,639
- Full-time students, 2012-13: 34,444
- Part-time students, 2012-13: 39,928
- Steps to online undergraduate admission
- Fill out online study application
- Furnish sealed, official copies of standardized test scores and transcripts from high school and any prior college experience
- Applicants for RN-to-BSN degree programs must have completed an associate degree or diploma program in nursing accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLN) and provide verification of RN licensure in their state of residence
- Nonnative English speakers must provide documentation of a passing score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Pay a $50 application fee
- Transfers accepted in both spring and fall? Yes
Online graduate and postgraduate programs each have their own set of admissions requirements, which can be viewed individually on the admissions page of the Liberty University Online website.
- Is this school eligible for federal financial aid (Title IV approved)? Yes
- Does this school offer scholarships? Yes
- What percentage of students receive financial aid? 96 percent
- What percentage of students receive federal financial aid? 44 percent
Liberty University students can earn online business administration degrees at several levels, beginning with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and can focus on any of 12 available concentrations. Master of Business Administration students at Liberty have their choice of 10 specializations, including international business, project management and public relations, and the online Doctor of Business Administration degree offers six distinct directions in which students may focus their study.
The Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice offered at Liberty can help both current law enforcement personnel and aspiring members of the justice system build a strong foundation of theory and skill in the discipline. Students may choose from seven options to specialize their degree, including homeland security, youth corrections, criminal psychology, strategic intelligence and forensics. An online MBA with a criminal justice concentration that offers training in research methods and organizational administration is also available.
You may want to consider...
The administrative side of the health care field is no less important than the practical side, and the healthcare management degrees at Liberty prepare students to manage clinical facilities and health services with skill and confidence. The Bachelor of Business Administration - Healthcare Management degree provides foundational insight into the financial, ethical and professional issues in the field, and the MBA - Healthcare Management degree focuses on turning that foundational understanding into mastery.
The Liberty University Department of Psychology offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology program that can be completed either on campus or online. The psychology curriculum at Liberty guides students through an exploration of personality theory, group dynamics, counseling methods, abnormal behavior patterns and various theoretical approaches of psychotherapy. Psychology students studying on campus at Liberty may also apply for an internship program to gain some professional experience in the discipline.
Liberty University is an evangelical institution, deeply committed to educating future leaders in science, business, academia and public service from a viewpoint firmly planted in the Christian faith. There are academic organizations associated with nearly every major, as well as myriad opportunities to join clubs, do volunteer work or get involved with meaningful causes.
There are 20 NCAA Division I sports teams (11 men's and nine women's) at Liberty. The institution also offers several opportunities for intramural and club sports — as well as more unusual activities like whitewater rafting and paintball — and maintains a skateboard park and an artificial ski slope for students and local residents to use year-round.
Click for more info
Despite its youth — it's only a little over 40 years old — Liberty University has caught the attention of national rankings agencies for colleges and universities. Here are a few of the notable rankings that Liberty has earned in the past few years:
- U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges
- No. 80 among regional universities in the South (2015)
- No. 37 among the best colleges for veterans (2015)
- U.S. News and World Report Best Graduate Schools
- Best Education Schools (2014)
- Best Law Schools (2014)
- Best Nursing Schools (2011)
- U.S. News and World Report Best Online Programs
- No. 75 among online graduate nursing programs (2015)
- No. 97 among online graduate education programs (2015)
- No. 122 among online graduate business programs (2015)
- No. 141 among online bachelor's programs (2015)
The Liberty University Law School features small class sizes and a faculty that includes judges, prosecutors, constitutional lawyers, experts in public interest law, government attorneys and nonprofit practitioners who assist students in an investigation of law and reason through the lens of faith.
The Business School at Liberty University offers 11 unique degrees and numerous specializations that challenge future business leaders to develop vital leadership qualities and hone their critical thinking skills while staying true to their values and beliefs.
In health care, the Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine instructs students in the osteopathic philosophy of integrating concepts of medicine, psychology, obstetrics, surgery, public health and biomedical science in search of a holistic approach to wellness.
- Dr. Michael Graves, Professor of Communications, Winner of the 2008 Top Article Award from the Religious Communication Association
- Dr. Gary Isaacs, Assistant Professor of Biology, Winner of the 2013-14 Alzheimer's and Related Diseases Research Award Fund
- Dr. Michael S. Jones, Associate Professor in the Department of Philosophy, Winner of a 2014 Fulbright Scholarship for research in Romania
1. Liberty University, http://www.liberty.edu
2. Basic Info: Liberty University, CollegeStats, http://collegestats.org/college/232557-liberty-university
3. America's Top Colleges: Forbes, http://www.forbes.com/colleges/liberty-university/
4. Liberty University, Princeton Review, http://www.princetonreview.com/schools/college/CollegeBasics.aspx?iid=1022784
5. Liberty University, Overall Rankings, U.S. News and World Report, http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liberty-university-232557/overall-rankings
Disclaimer: Information on this page was not provided or commissioned by the featured school. Information has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the featured school.
Finding the right school can be tough. Schools.com is here to help make that process easier. We know that every student is different and is looking for an experience catered to their needs. Our college profile reviews are here to help you analyze several facets of an institution, including academic offerings, the admissions process, culture and the demographic makeup of the student body. Check out programs available online and on-campus, and get ready to take the first steps toward your degree.